Hatching of the Egg

January 17, 2017:

Nancy comes to take care of Hank, who is too focussed on figuring out how to make her blood work, when Storm comes in with a very important package.

Dr. McCoy's Lab

Characters

NPCs: Nameless inhuman

Mentions:

Plot:

Mood Music: [*\# None.]


Fade In…

Nancy is spending a lot more time in the mansion then she expected. Mind you, it's nice to have friends again and Xavier's mansion has a way of feeling like home. Besides, the beds are way more comfy then the ones at the Nest. Nancy's outfit is… well, perhaps someone should remind her that as a teacher here she should maintain a modicum of professionalism. Pleather pants, ankle boots and tank top, all black, with a short kimono that would have been risque without the second skin tights underneath. She leans on the door to McCoy's lab and checks on her favourite fuzzy egghead.

**

Beast is staring into a microscope, his lunch sitting beside him on a table long cold. He hasn't touched it… in eight hours since someone brought it down to him. He is keeping up his standard monologue into his lapel recorder, though it's hard to understand the scientific jargon at this point.

**

Nancy watches Hank from the doorway of his lab. She knows that if he were paying attention, he would have smelled her coming long before now. She also knows that if he wasn't willing to be interupted, he would have closed and locked the door to his lab. She sees the uneaten lunch and shakes her head, heading into the room and giving Hank a poke. "Take a moment to eat, would you?"

**

Beast does not seem to notice the light poke on his shoulder, continuing his slow and steady monologue into the microphone. Still after a few moments more he lets his eyes come away from the device which has a long and elaborate name and any sane person would call "A big microscope" And blinks rubbing the bridge of his nose. "Oh? Is it lunch time already?"

**

"It was lunch time 10 hours ago, Hank. Your soup has gone cold and the grilled cheese is now plasticy." Nancy looks at the 'big microscope' and arches a brow. "Looking at my blood?" She moves away from the scientist and grabs one of her lollies from a pocket in the kimono. "Do you think you'll actually be able to do anything with it?"

**

Beast looks at his now rather pathetic lunch, which was no doubt delisious and piping hot when it had been delivered hours earlier. "Ahh." Is all he says to it, taking the soup to a microwave, the sandwhich to the trash and pulling a hot pocket out of his personal fridge to cook with the soup. "Indibitibly," He says to her second question, standing and streaching out his muscles that had gone to cramps from holding one position for two long. "I am actuly making fairlyt direct progress at the moment, and may have a stage alpha prototype by the end of the weak should my current assumptions of what I am reading in your own Deoxyribonucleic Acid."

**

Hopping up onto one of the medbeds, Nancy looks confused. "With my what? I got acid in my blood? Shiiiiit! Hydra made me nasty!" She wrinkles her nose at the idea of being even more of a weapon then the organization had intended. "Do you think all the other mutates are like that too?"

**

Beast blinks at her for a moment and then chuckles slightly. "Deoxyribo-Nucleic-Acid," He says giving the begining of each word a gentle emphisis. "Often euphemistically abreviated to just it's intials, D. N. A." he says with a smile, taking the hot pocket out of the microwave with the tomato soup and moving back over to his microscope. "So I would presume, since it is often regarded as the building blocks of all life, that most mutants have it as well, yes."

**

Nancy isn't sure if hanging around smart people like Hank is slowly making her smarter, or just making her look dumber. She gives a sheepish grin as he spells it out for her. "Ah… yeah. I knew that," she lies. She sighs heavily, knowing that neither of them are gonna fall for the lie. When Hank takes the food from the microwave and tries to go back to his work, Nancy hops off the bed and goes over to grab his arm and pull him away. "Oh no you don't. If I let you sit there with the food, you'll forget about it. Again. You sit, you eat and then you can science all you want."

**

"I would do no such thing." he lies. He sighs heavily, knowing that neither of them are gonna fall for the lie. He smiles a bit and sighs turning from his work and taking up to food and biting into the toaster sandwhich. "At any rate, I think that at the early stage it might be easiest to distil the formula I am working on into a serum of sorts, for the inital series. I may be able to restructure it at later points into something that would not have to be taken oraly but rather activated and worn as if as jewelry."

**

Once Hank is actually eating, Nancy hops back onto the medbed and takes her lolly out of her mouth to gesture with it as she talks. "So, … a serum…. orally… jewellry?" Nancy perks up at the one word in his ramblings that actually made sense to her. "And Marie will be able to touch people again? She'd like that. I think I almost made her cry when I first touched her." Nancy chuckles. "It's funny how some see what I do as a gift and others as a curse."

**

Beast head tilts, considering this. "The effects would be temeprary of course. Your own antimutigntic aura infact is powered by the general cellular replication of your body. Without that reneration, the serum would likely have a active use cycle of between thirty minutes and four hours. I simply do not have enough data to refine my hypothisis to a degree of greater accuracy.

**

Popping the candy back in her mouth again, Nancy smirks. "You're using those big words again, hot stuff. Keep that up and I'm going to make you play that game Speak Out and video it onto Youtube," she threatens. Her feet kick under her, swinging softly. "What else are you working on? Anything exciting? Anything that I'll understand?

**

Beast now looks at Nancy, with an expression that he himself has been given on many of occsion. That look that says "I am fairly certain that you just said something in English. English is my primary language. Yet I did not understand a word of it." Instead what Dr. McCoy actully says it "What game?" with a tone of utter bafflement.

**

Nancy has to laugh as for once she is the one that is flummoxing the egghead. Okay, she had to pull out the big guns and mention trendy board games and youtube, but she did it. Score one for the Nancinator!! "It's this board game, where you have cards of sentences you have to say, but you have to say it with this thing in your mouth that.. " She sticks her fingers in her mouth and stretches her lips wide. "Mayksh few dahk lak fis"

**

It is late, an hour that most will not be found out and about, but Storm is wide awake, in a manner that she is carrying something within the labs, her arms dripping with a substance that seemed to be consistent of spider webs, but with her body climate melting.

And beneath?

There is the contour of a humanoid form encased.

Before body pressure even forces lab doors wide a wind presses causing a pressure enough to pop sensitive ear-drums.

"Hope a table is clear, or I am about to clear one!" The mohawked Kenyan speaks out in a manner that resounds haste while the cocooned being in her arms begins to convulse and the holes within the cover start to seep red.

**

Nancy feels the Weather Witch before she sees her, the wind that comes before her a warning of her approach. Nancy's eyes go wide at what she brings into the lab and instantly hops off the medbed. "Cleared," she responds and then backs out of the way to let Beast do what he does best. Figure shit out.

**

The effect is immediate. Beast reaches out and picks Nancy up off the medbed and puls a fresh pad onto it with such practiced efficiancy that Storm is barely halfway across the room before the bed is preped. "What is the situation Ororo?" he asks closing his labcoat over his otherwise naked furry torso and moving to examine the…cacoon. "Did you get any of the seepage onto your skin or clothing?" he asks not looking at the woman as he moves around it…examineing it, but not wanting to mess with it untill he is certain that it is safe to do so. Both safe for himself and the others in the room as well as whatever might be in that shell.

**

The due in the lab are not yet regarded. Known. There is no need to give them another bearing deserving of strangers. Beast is a long time friend, Nancy as well, both trusted as the figure is spilled on the efficiently exposed med-bed, but the way Storm's oceanic gaze watches, and her breath hitches…

A swallow and flecks of that blood dry, nearly evaporating on heating dusky skin with every rhythmic pulse…

There was skin exposure. Clothing?

A bloodies bicept wrap of leather and eyelets is undone by the sinew lines to slide down toned arm. Dangling from her wrist, a snap of motion brings it to fingers and she hands it to Hank with a lingering of that gaze, where in the backdrop control is fighting!

"They are of the Nu." Stated in regards to the unknow cocoon dweller bleeding out through the webbed encasing." "I sought to find a point marked with the data gathered by Cypher…"

A swallow that fluxes her throat and forces her chin to rise in refusal to expose, or release.

"That was the only one left with a pulse."

**

On the off chance that whatever is within the coccoon is a mutant and needs its mutant abilities for survival, Nancy pulls her nullification field in as tight as she is able. She keeps her concentration up to be able to fill the room though at a moments notice.

Keeping to the place where Beast placed her, the goth watches and listens and hopes she learns a thing or two. But the explanation only causes more confusion. "The Nu? I haven't been around much. What is the Nu? Like the Nutates? At the farm?"

**

Beast's eyes go serious as he carefully parts the webbing, checking the readings from the medbed… which are, to say the least, unhelpfull. "Pulse is thready, resperation, near non existant, though I have no way of acertaining if that is due to injury or the caccoon's influance." He says as he takes a hairlike camera and begins feeding it into the caccoon, hoping to get an observation without risking further damage to the poor soul inside. "Whee you able to ascertain the source of the wounds, as well as their originating cause?" He asks tossing Storm's bloody wrap into a nearby basin, adding "Wash up. I may need your hands." He could likely find the information himself quickly enough, but Storms observations could save him valuable seconds.

**

Nancy's query gets her a solid look, bur one of business as she turns and begins to wash up - as ordered, stepping to the side to allow the other woman her own entry to do so as well while her own damp hands lift with her turn back to the coccon'd being.

"Nutates…. A very good comparison, but I do not know your version versus," A tilt of snow tressed head to th being before beast that slowly bleeds out of the few holes laden into it's casing.

"Multiple bullet wounds from high powered rifles. These Puritans came fast and mowed down others before … I arrived on a hunch to…" No more words, Storm is beside the table, closing her eyes and swallowing, breathing through flared nostrils.

A gusture that eliminates the rooms pressure of the force she arrived on.

**

Beast says something under his breath that could very well be a curse, or might have been if it hadn't eminated from the mouth of Dr. Henry McCoy. "Nancy, do you know how to prep an IV line?" he asks his voice calm as he continues to scope the wounds, one part of his brain urging him to hurry, one ordering him to be calm and paitent… and one lamenting paradoxically that his soup and sandwhich are going to get quite cold /again/. "Ororo. Third drawer from the left, second from the top in the cabnet directly behind me. You will find a tool that looks like a clamp on an angle, attached to what resembles a long pair of sissor handles. I need you to retreive it for me…"

**

Certain that he wasn't telling her, but figuring more hands are better, Nancy too goes to wash up, even throwing away her lollipop. She always has more for later and Hank would likely have a conniption fit if she tried to suck on a candy while aiding him.

Listening to Storm's brief explanation, Nancy nods. "So, I may or may not affect him… her… them," she says as she heads over to the bed to help. "Just tell me what to do." Blood it would seem, unlike Nightcrawler, does not make Nancy squeamish.

"IV? Not something I've done before…

**

Storm is already moving, after one solid deep breath that seems to lighten the pressure and temparature flux in the room. Hands bearing the NuHumans blood on them are pushed under a faucet to pinken the strem of water and the soap in her rapid scrubbing before gloves are slid on and she is heading for where Hank had directed her.

The clamp is withdrawn and handed handle-first to him while Nancy is regarded with a small smile. "Time to learn."

A shift of Storm's hand over the cocooned shape in search…. "It makes me wonder, if we break the shell before the inside is ready - would it kill the butterfly?" He eyes hold a brief moment of sorrow, but what choice do they have in this moment, and once she finds a spot she is pressing, pushing her finges through the chrysalis where she felt a limb to be (near) to expose it for the IV.

**

"We will have to risk some damage to the cacoon, in order to have a chance to save the paitent." Hank says in a steady voice, slowly inserting the clamp into one of the bulet tracks and mumbleing lightly to himself as he works. "That said the less damage we do to it, the more likely I do believe our paitent wil survive…" He slowly withdraws a bloddy clamp, and drops a bullet into a tray..

**

"Since when do humans go through a chrysalis like a butterfly?" Nancy asks as she goes to get the equipment needed. "I'm gonna grab the pads for the heart monitor too," she adds while she opens the cabinets for the items needed. Time to learn. Storm is right, as usual. Nancy's experience with first aid has previously been limited to using the fancy alien do-dads from Starfire's ship. But that's a shortcut for actual knowledge and she knows it.

Bringing the IV supplies over to Storm, she hands it over to the woman. "Show me," she asks. She grabs a nearby post, hanging the pouch of liquid. She's not even sure what it is and is concerned that she is only going to make matters worse with her lack of knowledge.

**

Looking between her two friends Storm is more easily at ease. She trusts them and her confidence is there right along side their own, even if the matter is dire. Once the area is opened, Storm withdraws a bloodied hand and the look does not linger too long or change the pace as she sheds those gloves for new ones, sliding them back into place as Nancy asks to learn.

"Tribes in my country war all the time, not like here, but sometimes circumstances become dire. Even the wildlife there can cause emergencies. To be a man you must face a man's hunter and to save the boy that became a man you must be fast."

"Slide the clamp up the tube, no bubbles, pinch off opposing end." As she directs Nancy the larger guaged needle is withdrawn to push more fluids into the body at a more rapid pace. But here is the tricky part.

"Connect and clamp the needle into place and give me your guiding hand." Blind going in to feel for what Storm had exposed and find a vein. But as soon as Nancy was ready, hand in hand they were pushing into the cocoon and finding the body within as well as a vein…

Hank's work bore more tedium, but he can see the signs if not hear them. The heart rate is climbing rapidly.

**

Beast lets out a small breath, but he knows his paitent is far from out of danger. He checks the MEd-Beds readings to confirm his own feelings and proceeds to the next wound in the dying Nutant's body. His words with a little straning resolve themselves into poetry.. "..Though wise men at their end know dark is right, Because their words had forked no lightning they Do not go gentle into that good night…"

**

Nancy glances over to Storm as the woman gives her instructions. She nods slowly and starts to follow along, even repeating the instructions softly under her breath to make them stick deeper in her memory. She takes a deep breath, pushing down her fear for this person. "Gonna be touching them. Turning off their power. Just ta warn ya," she says as she and Storm press their hands to the arm within to place the IV.

**

In the streets it is known that after the invasion of Apocalypse and the capture of mutants to drive them into Horsemen, that an illusion had been cast perhaps, one that would have brought enemies to their knees but they rose up and now a new race had surfaced itself after nearly being enslaved. Inhumans.

But the bomb still fell and came in Terragenesis, mists creeping along the surface of the world, ignited and changing the genetic structure, opening dormancies and plaguing those with deadly virus if not immune.

Those undergoing the change find themselves wrapped in cocoons as they evolve into their newness, hours long or even weeks sometimes. Coming into the name of Nuhumans and bringing with them a new upheaval of fear on the second Apocalypse this world has faced. One revealing aliens and this…

Purifiers are back on the rise and a cluster of hidden cocoons had been found, gunned down and the only one Storm found that still bore life she brought home, having followed readings Cypher had linked for them to begin sweeps that Storm had spoken to Nancy about - needing a Nest. Safehaven.

Now within the lab the cocooned Nutate, or Nuhuman has Hank standing over him trying to extract bullets through unknown layers, Nancy and Storm hand in hand inside the casing with an IV tube in hand to try and get fluids returned. It's pulse is spiking and as Stom and Nancy find a vein, Hank withdraws a bullet the cocoon stainsa darker read and begins to convulse!

**

Beast reaches for a sponge and of all things, superglue on a swab to seal the wound. Still muttering to himself he calls out "School wide intercom, Medical Emergency. All residents with Medical training please report immediately to the medlab to assist. I repeat This is a medical emergency, all residents with Medical training please report immediately to the medlab to assist." Trying to stop the bleeding… hoping if they can get the paitent stabilized the cacoon itself will help the poor soul inside heal.

**

Swiftly, after receiving the call for assistance, one Jean Grey moves quietly and quickly into the room. While it has only been a few minutes since the all-call came out, it doesn't take Jean too long to move through the mansion. With a few more precious minutes to prep herself for the room, Jean's moving through the door, a white mask drawn up and over her face as she does so.

A quick stock of the situation is given, as Jean moves to Hank's side. The IV is being taken care of, it's the dark blood-red stain over the cocoon that has Jean's attention. She doesn't have X-Ray vision, but her telekinesis can gently probe the rest of the body for the bullets. "Hank." She begins, "What do you need me to do first?"

**

Nancy gets the IV in, but upon seeing the rush of blood on the other side of the coccoon, she panics. She pulls her hand out. "Was that me? Did I turn him off in a bad way?" The usual cool cucumber is very worried at the moment. She looks to Storm, backing away. "I didn't mean to kill him," she says, biting her lower lip. Not again. Please, not again. In her fear, Nancy's bubble goes to it's full size instinctually to protect herself.

**

"Rage, rage against the dying of the light…" Storm finally breathes as the IV goes in, but when the body starts setting into motion within the cocoon in a manner that tells of the reset to go one way or another in vitals her hand withdraws, coated in blood and…. feathers? A thin layer of down in the coating that is not all just blood.

Storm presses fingers togeher and in small circles, watching before she looks to Nancy and rises. "You did not. This is no longer in our ha—"

Jean's entry brings a ghost of a smile to a corner of Storm's lips, she had heard the woman was back but had not seen her until now, but the timing is what truly mattered. They were all needed.

The contact of the seal upon the wound by Beast stops the flourish but something else had already been set into motion and the cocoon cracks, spilling forth a clea visceral film stained in swirls of red as behind it wings push forth, borne red and orange in hues like a phoenix (responding), but the hand that traces along the appendage is scaled, clawed, and when he grips the table his body is upon, it glows red! Feet kicks free and tennis shoes hit the floor in a wet slap where taloned toes extend and aid in gripping as the body tries to wrench free in a panic sound akin to a sob….

Then a roar.

**

Beast is releaved too as Jean comes in, not that Nancy and Storm's help is not apprciated, by all the Gods and Godesses any of them believe in it most certainly is. But having a fellow doctor there makes all the difference, "I am endevoring to remove the bullets from… and then the poor young man /hatches/ from his cacoon. Beast quickly pulling back to avoid hurting him any worse. "Try to reach his mind Jean. Do not let him hurthimself worse. He has seven more distinctive gun shot wounds that need treated…" He then moves to try and find a measure of anistesia… this thing…this person… will not want to have those bllets taken out while he is awake.

**

Noticing Storm's own hands, covered in blood and soft downy feathers, Nancy looks down at her own hand, covered in same. She hates that she is panicking, wondering how the other two are staying so calm. Okay, so medical stuff is definitely not Nancy's area of excellence. She stays back, pressing against the wall behind her and concentrating on trying to get her field closer to her then she has ever managed.

**

Jean's gaze flickers towards Ororo - the brief smile is greeted with the same, the two have much to talk about, but sadly; now is not the time. A gentle, quiet thought will offer an attempt at reassurance to Nancy, » You have not done anything wrong. On the contrary, the IV is well in place. «

As the mutation begins to take place, and the body is transforming right before her eyes, Jean can't help but let out a soft gasp of surprise. Mutations she's seen, this - this is unlike anything she's experienced.

Gently; quietly, Jean's head bobs only a moment at Hank, before her psionic senses reach out towards the man, attempting to offer a psychic reassuring, shutting down perhaps the panic, helping with the pain, and trying her best to reach through to the man's psyche and calm him down. » You are among friends. Rest now. «

**

Storm has to stay calm, and she is trying her best to share it with Nancy, but at the moment she moves to step towards the other woman the Nuhuman fully bursts from the cocoon, a motion that sprays the bits of cocoon across the room to stick over surfaces, slide down walls, and hang small bits from Storms hair, one fragment sliding down her face leaving a clear trail…. *Blink*.

Flicking it off Storm is already moving to place herself between the New and Nancy while she listens to the exchange between Beast and Jean, knowing what needs to be done and is meant to be done, but the Nuhuman is hearing -nothing- and the reaction as well as panic and pain is rising as the table rocks with added weight and the almost reptilian/avian producing mass heat stares slit-pupiled gaze upon them all, the human that one was seeping back and away as from wounds blood still spatters the table it now perches upon despite the superheating that is bringing it red-hot! A forked tongue pushes past and he lunges like an injured animal caught, sending the table clattering and the IV to disconnect angrily as he aims for Jean and Beast with massive wet wings splayed.

"I do not think he is hearing you…" Storm states calmly, but as she speaks she is backing closer to Nancy, a look of apology to the woman. Her powers are known and they had discussed her training with them, but a split decision must be made and Storms arms entwine the woman, those black leathery drops of cloth that form wings encase Nancy while eyes go pure white and with a low chant a small cyclone only encases them coating them in a barrier of ice meant to slow things down.

A nod to both Beast and Jean. "Try again."

**

Things are not going so well, in fact, Jean's finding things not going good at all. As soon as Storm creates the barrier of ice - Jean's once again refocusing her efforts. On instinct, a protective telekinetic barrier is placed around Hank and herself, the heat is intense - but the creature is not going to do harm to them.

Reaching deep within herself, a bright aura of crimson springs around Jean's features, the head of a bird forming about Jean's own, a wingspan stretching out behind her. No real power, heat or substance to them, just an aura that comes to life when Jean's - really working it.

Once more, Jean's focus delves deep into the psyche of the one-time human. More than a simple reassuring coax, now it is a full-on attempt at psychically calming him down. She speaks aloud, as well as mentally to the 'Nuhuman'. "Let us help you. You are among friends, among those that are here to protect you, save your life. We are not the enemy." The tone and voice is soothing, calming, no panic - not even as the poor soul moves to attack. Just gentle, quiet encouragement - attempting to get him to lie back down, and to - simply go back to sleep.

**

Beast, now safely behind a wall of ice and TK tries to relax himself, noting that his own heart rate and blod pressure skyrocketed in the last several seconds. "MY name is Dr. Henry McCoy." He offers in a level, prefessional tone. Not looking away from the poor soul. "You are at my medical facility. You have been shot several times. Please we want to help you, but what you are doing right now could seriously exaserbate your injuries."

**

It is a brief burst. Being so close to Nancy even when reigned in exerted a push from Storm to do as she did, and it is not long lasting at all.

The white glow fades, a flicker that leaves eyes blue and tired, the cold cone instantly falling but it did what it was meant to, buy time so Jean could gain access and have Hank reassure the gestures of kindness.

The Nuhuman's lunge comes on a trail and burst of heat, but confused by Jean's own he stops in a careening move where arms simply dropped and with it those wings, a new appendage to the 'Nutate' that has him lift to the ceiling before he comes back to the ground in a shaken descent that looks more like a wounded bird.

Nictating membranes have him blinking towards Hank, but only in part as a calm is coursing through him, as well as a desire to sleep the pain away. Trust? What choice did he have? Exhaustion took over with blood loss, a gentle coaxing all it took to have him simply settle back in on himself despite the fact that when he held up hands they were not what he knew most of his life, either. A dull whine escapes and when he looks to them all with almost an owl like twist of head something akin to Help escapes lips before the breathing slows and sleep consumes.

**

Just when it looks like things are not working, thankfully the poor man finally agrees to Jean's mental manipulations. Her heart just breaks at the last grasped out words. Once again, Jean's voice echoes outwards, "Easy now, I promise you, we will help you."

With a nod to Hank, Jean's drawing forward, moving to once again put in the IV - as well as help to administer the anesthesia. "I'll begin on the fluids and anesthesia."

**

Beast nods softly, taking a few calming breaths. "Do that. As for the rest of us, everyone scrub up again. We are far from out of the woods yet and this man still needs our help." He says tearing off his own lab coat to put on a fresh one after his scrub up.

Unless otherwise stated, the content of this page is licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 License